I had terrible acne growing up. After years of trying different products and health habits, these are my tips for getting rid of acne, based on what worked for me.
Change your diet.
Drink water, cut out dairy, and eat foods rich in anti-oxidants.
- Water will keep your skin hydrated and help your body flush out toxins that may contribute to acne.
- Dairy (milk, cheese, ice cream, yogurt, etc.) increases sebum production in the skin leading to clogged pores, which leads to more acne. Cutting out dairy will drive a huge turnaround for your skin.
- Consuming more antioxidants may reduce skin inflammation which could reduce your acne (Inflammation leads to more acne, antioxidants reduce inflammation). Antioxidants also help keep your skin looking youthful and vibrant.
Change your skincare products.
These are the products that worked for me.
- Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash – I clean my skin with this twice a day, once in the morning, and once again before bed.
- Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay Deep Pore Cleansing – I use this once a week, on Sundays. I do this at night, after cleaning my skin with the face wash.
- Pure Body Naturals Beauty Dead Sea Mud Mask for Facial Treatment – I use this once a week, on Mondays. I do this at night, after cleaning my skin with the face wash.
If buying from cruelty-free and vegan brands is something you care about, check out these links:
Don’t know if it’s vegan? Double check the ingredients here.
Working out (and drinking water) increases the blood flow to your skin which helps bring more oxygen to your skin cells which helps excrete cell waste from your skin, leading to clearer skin.
Keep your makeup light and don’t ever wear it to sleep.
Also, try going a few days without makeup during the week. Letting you skin breathe will unclog your pores and increase oxygen circulation to your skin.
Do you have any skincare tips? What’s worked for you and what hasn’t?